If you want to hit hard and defend well, Kurogane's might could be your choice. He comes with large normals to play at a variety of distances, with a pillar projectile for set-play and spacing. His chip damage is also naturally the highest in the game, so guarding against him too much can be dangerous. All this combined with his counter moves makes him a major threat.
5A: Standard quick slash. Cancellable. Auto-chains into 5AA - 5AAA. Chains into 2A, 5B, 4B, 3B and ac/2B manually.
- 5AA: Follow-up slash to 5A with the same speed and slightly more range. Cancellable. Auto-chains into 5AAA.
- 5AAA: Final slash of auto-combo, with slightly more range than 5AA. EX and Super Cancellable.
6A: Wide, forward-stepping slash with spacious horizontal range. Can hit behind him. Cancellable.
3A: Overhead swing. Somewhat slow start-up, but active enough for meaty set-ups. Low invul. EX and Super Cancellable.
1A: Standard, crouching low. Cancellable. Auto-chains into 2A - 2B. Cancellable. Chains into 5B, 4B, 3B and ac/2B manually.
2A: Low crouching forward kick. More range and damage than 1A, but slightly less safe. Cancellable. Auto-chains into ac/2B. Chains into 5B, 4B, 3B manually.
- ac/2B: The auto-combo version of 2B. While the same move, it loses its knock-down and cancellable property. It can also juggle.
5B: Overhead heavy axe slam. Likely the HIGHEST chip dealing move in the game, made more insane by proration. Launches on hit. Can reset the juggle rate. Cancellable.
6B: Forward-stepping 2-hit slash. Slightly wider than 6A. Can hit behind him. Launches on hit. EX and Super Cancellable.
4B: Axe shove. Large verticle hit-box with quick start-up and notable active frames. Pushes opponent away, further on-block.
3B: A slow, launching strike that moves vertically and around him, hitting forward and behind. Cancellable.
2B: Low, large and quick slash that knocks the opponent down. Can juggle. Cancellable.
j.A: Jumping light punch, quick and a little active.
j.?A: Jumping axe slash.
j.B: Helm Breaker. Flips a bit higher before bringing it down onto the opponent. Can cross-up in the corner.
Auto Combo Patterns
5AA - 5AAA
2A - ac/2B
2A - ac/2B
236A: Kaze A
Kurogane rushes forward and delivers an upwards chop. Keeps opponent grounded.
- Travels about half-screen, further extended in range by slash hit-box.
- Safe on block.
- Not many strings are safe when canceling into it, 2B being the safest.
236B: Kaze B
Similar to the above, but launches the opponent on hit.
- Pressing buttons on follow-up will take Kurogane to the air.
- Slightly slower start-up.
- The move is much less safe on block.
236C: EX Kaze
The EX version of the above.
- Now has projectile invul.
- In the same range of safety as Dashing Chop A.
- Sends the opponent into a flying state on hit.
Kurogane punches the ground SO HARD that it causes an eruption beneath his opponent.
- Does three hits, launches on each.
- Knocks the opponent down.
- Timing of the eruption varies by strength. A's takes longer, B's is shorter.
- No change in recovery for either.
- Tracks the opponent anywhere on the screen but remains in one location.
- Goes away when hit.
214C: EX Yama
The EX version of the above
- A much larger eruption than the former.
- It hits a total of twelve times.
- Has the fastest start-up of the three.
- When used up close, the eruption is instant.
- This instance of the move is unsafe unless canceled.
Kurogane counters his opponent and gains a small axe above the proration bar.
With the icon, said countered move will allow Kurogane one free hit of Super Armor while in the middle of an animation.
- A counters high, and B counters low.
- Both have fast start-up.
- It only counters strikes, so projectiles can still beat it.
- Doesn't work on Supers either.
- Launches the opponent back on hit, leading to corner combos.
623C: EX Hayashi
The EX version of the above.
- This version will guard against both highs and lows.
- It now ends with a Shinryuken-like animation before launching the opponent back against the wall at any range.
236236A Fugaku Hachi Kei
The game's only counter super. Ends in a Raging... Ogre.
- Counters highs and lows.
- Lasts the longest of all counters.
Awakening 236236B Awakening Ogi: Hi Nogotoku
A whirling axe slice that ends in a wall-splat.
- The sequence begins after the first two hits connect.
- Nearly instant start-up.
- Starts fully invul, becomes strike invul, and ends projectile invul.